What is a Server?
A Server is a powerful computer that holds data to be shared over a network. The Server responds to requests for information from other computers – it “serves” files, data, print, fax resources and more to multiple computers on the same network.
The word “Server” used to conjure images of big computer rooms tucked inside the bowels of a business, managed by tech specialists in windowless offices. Thankfully, times have changed!
Today, Server-based networks can be found in many small businesses – some with fewer than five PCs. If sluggish PCs and files stored on disks are slowing your business down, a network Server could be the solution.
How Can a Server Benefit Your Business?
- A Server protects business information by delivering a more reliable and security-enhanced infrastructure. It includes built-in firewall protection and security-enhanced remote access to help prevent unauthorized users from getting into your network.
- A Server helps to ensure network health by keeping your PCs and servers current with the latest updates.
- A Server prevents data loss with automatic data backups and allows you to easily retrieve accidentally deleted files and restore previous versions.
- A Server provides one central place to store business information, meaning you can better manage business-critical information. It’s easier for staff to find, access, and share information and schedules.
- A Server lets you accommodate a mobile work force. Staff can work from virtually anywhere, anytime, with access to e-mail, internal Web sites, network files, and even business applications from any Internet-enabled PC.
- A Server enables staff to share resources and equipment such as Internet access, printers, and fax machines.
- A Server allows you to provide high-speed internet access across a network.
- A Server gives you more processing power. It ‘supercharges’ your network, storing large chunks of data, freeing up memory and enabling individual PCs to perform better.
- A Server allows you to set up new computers, add users and deploy new applications more quickly and easily.
- A Server can help you present a more professional image to your customers. It enables you to run web services, manage web sites, create e-mail newsletters and exploit more sophisticated tools and applications.
- Server software enables you to consolidate your e-mail accounts with suppliers like google mail, Yahoo! and Hotmail into a single, company-hosted e-mail account, enhancing your image to customers and partners.
- A Server can give older PCs a new lease of life – by off-loading their files and data onto a server, older PCs work more quickly and effectively.
Raptor IT – Microsoft server specialists
Raptor IT specialize in Microsoft server installations and have extensive technical knowledge and expertise in deploying, migrating and supporting server solutions that meet the needs of the your business.
If you’d like more information about the role a Server could play in improving the way you do business, or more details about any of our recommended Server solutions, then please feel free to contact us
Original Article: https://www.air-it.co.uk/2011/09/how-can-a-server-benefit-your-business/